Calcium Supplement for All Marine Fish & Reef Aquaria
- High-purity powdered calcium.
- Increases the concentration of calcium in marine aquarium water to provide corals and other reef-building invertebrates with one of the most important elements required for growth.
- Stronger and more economical than liquid calcium solutions; created for hobbyists maintaining multiple reef aquaria.
- Formulated by a marine scientist.
- It is recommended that the calcium concentration in the aquarium be determined by using an accurate test kit prior to supplementing. Do not add this product directly to an aquarium containing live animals without first diluting in water as directed.
200g | 400g | 800g | 3.2kg | 16kg
Calcium is required for the formation of aragonite, the skeletal material of reef-building invertebrates such as corals, clams, tube worms, and their respective allies. In reef aquaria, maintaining calcium within a range of 412 - 450 ppm will enable corals and other reef-building invertebrates to grow rapidly when all other physical and chemical requirements are met. [Magnesium, strontium, and carbonate ions are also complexed into aragonite, and their importance in a reef aquarium cannot be overstated.] The rate at which calcium is extracted from the water is determined by the stocking density of reef-building livestock, type of lighting, and other biological, physical, and chemical conditions; therefore, each aquarium will have different requirements for the rate of calcium supplementation.
Instructions and Guidelines
Basic: Dissolve 2 grams (~½ teaspoon) of product per 20 US-gallons of aquarium water in 8-fl. oz. of fresh water; add every other day or as needed to maintain the calcium concentration within a range of 412 - 450 ppm. When used in this fashion, 800 g treats up to 8,000 US-gallons (30,283 L).
Advanced: Create a stock solution by dissolving 10 grams (~5 teaspoons) of Calcion-P in 8-fl. oz. of fresh water (preferably purified); each ml of the solution will increase the calcium concentration (”[Ca2+]”) in 1 US-gallon (3.785 L) of water by 2.50 ppm. [Reference: Each g of Calcion-P will increase the [Ca2+] in 1 US-gallon (3.785 L) of water by 95 ppm.] If initial [Ca2+] in the aquarium is below 412 ppm, add stock sol’n at maximum rate of 10 ml per 20 US-gallons daily until desired concentration is attained, then dose daily or weekly as needed (see below). Maintain [Ca2+] within a range of +/-10 ppm. Once desired [Ca2+] has been acquired, measure aquarium's [Ca2+] at the same time each day over a one- to two-week period to determine the daily rate of calcium uptake (i.e. the decrease in calcium). To determine daily dosing rate (preferable to weekly dosing): estimate volume of water in entire aquarium system (US-gal.); divide the daily decrease in [Ca2+] by 2.50; multiply this number by volume of water in system to obtain daily ml of stock sol’n required to maintain stable [Ca2+].
Caution: Keep out of reach of children. Not for human consumption.
Calcium (min - max) 33 - 37% (330,000 - 370,000 ppm)
Calcium chloride (anhydrous)